Tuesday 2 May 2017

Veteran artist has a brush with dejection

My ‘soul’ painted it, says creator of Basavanna’s portrait, asking for credit

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah’s decision to install 12th century social reformer Basavanna’s portrait in all government schools and offices was hailed by everyone; even his staunch opponents cheered him on. But one man is quite upset – the artist whose creation was chosen to adorn the walls of offices and schools. His grouse: no credit has been given to him.

“I painted Basavanna’s portrait and it was inaugurated in 2005 in Delhi. It wasn’t just my skills; it was also my soul which painted this portrait. My painting was in Muruga Mutt of Chitradurga and the government selected it. But when I looked at it, there was no credit given to the artist. This is indeed a great disgrace and discredit for any artist. Beyond this, it also does disservice to the soul that created this piece,” said VT Kale, an 83-year-old art veteran, from his home in Sandur, Ballari.

Kale started painting around 60 years ago after graduating from the prestigious Sir JJ School of Art in Mumbai in 1953. He served in Gadag for 12 years as an artist and later joined the residential school of MY Golpade in Sandur as an art teacher. His work, in the form of caricatures, can be seen in several government text books.

“This incident has reminded me once again that there is no value for the works of artists in our country. Lenardo Da Vinci, Pablo Picasso, Rembrandt are remembered as great artists even after 400 years because of their work and also because they got due credit for it. But in our country, people only know the kings who built Taj Mahal, Gol Gumbaz and Ajantha sculptures; nobody recognizes the soul of those artists who made these wonders a reality. It is understood that art is never the recognition of a man in this country. They could have at least informed me that they are taking my work,” he said, with an overbearing tone of disappointment in his voice.

Kale, who is a recipient of the Nadoja award and has an honorary doctorate, served as the Chairman of Karnataka Fine arts for two terms. “I do not demand money nor do I expect any royalty from the government for my work. The least that I expect is the due credit for my work. Not because I seek fame at the age of 83, but for the soul that created this painting. If they are humble enough to give me credit, then the art will definitely have its renaissance in our country. This will inspire many youngsters and artists to create the finest portraits. That is only my wish,” he said.
Resource : http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com/news/state/veteran-artist-has-a-brush-with-dejection/articleshow/58465377.cms

No comments:

Post a Comment