Sunday 16 April 2017

Artist celebrates 70 years

CARY – When it comes to her birthday, Darlene Bremer likes to celebrate.

“I decided when I became 50 that every year after that was a gift,” said Bremer, of Cary. “So when I was 50, I decided for every decade, I would do a party.”

For her 50th, she was surprised when a large group took her to a theater show to celebrate. For her 60th, she had six parties to mark the milestone. For her 70th birthday, she is hosting her own art exhibit.

Bremer, who teaches watercolor painting classes at Creative Arts Inc. in Crystal Lake, will show more than 60 of her paintings from 2 to 5 p.m. April 23 at Galati’s Hideaway, 800 Feinberg Court, Cary. The celebration was delayed from her actual birthday of Feb. 4 because Bremer was in California celebrating the arrival of twin grandchildren. The exhibit is open to the public, but a reservation is required at https://darlenebremer.wordpress.com due to limited space. The paintings on display will be available to purchase.

“I have been painting for 35 years,” Bremer said in a news release. “Although I am emotionally attached to my paintings, I want others to own a painting that will bring them pleasure.”

One of Bremer’s paintings was chosen for the 1995 Harvard Milk Days poster. In 2010 she won Best of Show in the South Park Art Festival in Fairplay, Colorado, and in 2016 she won Best of Show at the Grundy County Corn Festival. She has a bachelor’s degree in elementary education with a minor in art and taught at District 47’s Husmann School for 32 years as a second-grade and kindergarten teacher.


Resource: http://www.nwherald.com/2017/04/10/artist-celebrates-70-years/as2156p/

No comments:

Post a Comment